Sunday, October 19, 2008

Post #5 (LATE BECAUSE OUT OF TOWN)

I am still reading Night, and I am enjoying it a lot. The quote, "Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never" is extremely meaningful in the book. This is because it tells how lasting the impressions of this Hell are. It is able to try and describe to people how bad the concentration camp was. I think that is a large part of the purpose of this book, to try and have people create a mental image of the camp, and how bad it is. This way, people can capture the emotion of the author and his troubles.

No comments: